August 2012 minutes

The Odebolt Betterment Committee met Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. at the Downtown Café. Present were Kris Ziegmann, Kerry and Deb Reinhart, Carol Raasch, Elaine Rex, Joan Godbersen, Linda Godbersen, Madeline Meyer, and Jack Bensley.

Madeline made a motion to accept the minutes as read. Elaine second. All ayes.

Joan made motion to accept the treasurer’s report as followed. Carol second.

Balance $7,982.47
Peterson Pioneer House $4,474.25
Sign Landscaping $61.00
Undesignated $591.95
City Park $2,843.72
Greenspace $11.55
The Renze Grant money is in the City’s account because they are our fiscal agent. This amount is $3,040.00. There is $300.91 in Iowa State savings account for the upkeep of the Triangle Park.
All ayes.

Carol gave an update on the Rural Legacy Project. The Committee has received awards from the Renze Grant and from Keep Iowa Beautiful. Someone from the Rural Legacy will attend the Sac Co. Endowment Foundation meeting.

Madeline gave an update on the Peterson Pioneer Project. We have received $3,040.00 from the Gil and Barbara Renze Grant and $1,000.00 from INS. The INS money will be used to level and seed the lawn around the Peterson Home. Kris suggested that we finish up on Phase 1 of this project before we go on to Phase 2. Phase 1 of this project is almost completed; we are waiting for just a few minor things to be completed. When these are done Kris can fill out the final report for this Phase. Linda will attend the Sac Co. Endowment meeting so that we may apply for the Sac Co. grant. This application will be applied for the new roof. Kerry suggested that someone patch the hole in the porch roof before winter so that it does not deteriorate any further. Madeline will follow up on estimates to get them updated for this application. Madeline asked me before the meeting to write a check to PER MAR security for half down on the installation of the security system; she said that John Noyd would reimburse us for this amount.

Linda has tried to call Taylor Bengford on doing some landscaping in the City Park, but he has not returned her calls. Linda has talked to Jen Paulson on the possibility of building some low maintenance berms in the City Park. Joan has filled the hole on the northwest corner of the enclosed shelterhouse. Since it has cooled of Linda will paint the trim on the bathroom windows. Linda asked Kerry to check the fence around the women’s restroom to see if the paint needs to be touched up.

Joel and Madeline have been watering the plants and trees and everything is looking really good.

Kerry will check the tree at Larry Schulte’s next spring and replace if necessary.

There is someone interested in giving a memorial to the OBC and was wondering about the possibilities. We discussed that benches would be welcomed, also do something with the pump, a brick sidewalk or brick patio out back. The Rural Legacy suggested maybe something done with the school bell. Jack stated that he had a cistern, that he received from Mike Peterson, that he may donate to the Peterson house. Also it was discussed to what to do with the Questors flag pole, Kris will discuss this with Questors.

We discussed the tree replacement in the pool area and it was decided to wait until Spring for this project to give us more time to check out our options. Linda has talked to Eric Miller and he is interested to incorporate this into his class for the Trees for Teens grant. It was stated that the trees have to be native to Iowa.

Next meeting will be held Sept. 11 at 6:00 p.m. at the Downtown Café.

Deb Reinhart

No comments: